5 Fun Chess Facts
- The word “Checkmate” comes from the Arabic phrase “Shah Mat” and means “the King is dead.”
- Since the last piece to move into action is the Rook, players in their first year are called “Rookies.”
- Theoretically, the longest chess game possible is 5,949 moves.
- During World War II, British chess masters Harry Golombek, Stuart Milner-Barry and H. O’D. Alexander were on the team that broke the Nazi Enigma code.
- The record for title of Champion held the longest is by Dr. Emanuel Lasker, of Germany, for 26 years and 337 days.
Chess is taken seriously but made fun at Hummingbird Music Camp! We offer Chess Camp for both boys and girls, at any skill level – beginner, intermediate or advanced. We hope to see your budding chess player at Chess Camp this year!